Friday, September 18, 2009

NIGHTY NIGHT

It’s been one of those weeks that can go from delightful to exceedingly taxing within 24hours. The highs? I saw a disturbing film about a young girl in India who was married as a child, widowed at age eight, and then exiled to a widow’s ashram for the rest of her life. Later at a bookstore (where I was reading Lev Grosman’s very strange book The Magicians which is a combination of Harry Potter meets Catcher in the Rye meets The Shining meetsThe Chronicles of Narnia) I was offered for free a small cup of hot apple cider and a chocolate chip cookie. I’ve have spent hours trying to figure out the correct way to translate the Greek words andres adelphoi which is literally “men brothers,” but a professor of mine, Dr. Hann, suggests (quite rightly) an inclusive translation like “Ladies and Gentleman.”

The lows? The usual everyday struggles of people in physical and emotional need, the stupidity of people who make life more miserable, and my own inability to do much of anything other than making things worse.



In the light of all that, I’ll skip writing a blog. I am going to brush my teeth and then say my prayers and go to bed. It’s probably safer, as long as a frog doesn’t jump in my bedroom window like it did Monday night. Yes, I have screens. I have no idea how the frog got in unless it was a magic frog.

May the Lord bless you on your journey and greet you on your arrival.

Wayne





Luther’s Evening Blessing


In the evening, when you retire, make the sign of the holy cross and say. In the name of God, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Amen.

Then, kneeling or standing, say The Apostles' Creed and the Lord’s Prayer. If you wish you may say this little prayer as well.

I give you thanks, heavenly Father, through Jesus Christ, your dear Son, that you have graciously protected me this day; and I pray that you would forgive me all my sins and the wrong I have done. Graciously protect me this night. Into your hands I commend my body and soul, and all that is mine. Let your holy angel have charge concerning me, that the wicked one may have no power over me. Amen.

Then you are to go to sleep quickly and cheerfully.







11924

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home