Friday, February 29, 2008

A BEAR OF A DAY

Afew weeks ago I saw the play All I Really Need to Know I Leaned in Kindergarten. One of scenes has a Holocaust survivor deliver a line something like, "You're confusing a problem with an inconvenience. What you have is an inconvenience, not a problem." Ah, yes. Last week I was bemoaning all sorts of problems. But they were really nothing. I have a new scanner to replace the one that passed away. I have a new desk chair with all the casters on. (I have only a small wound where I scraped my hand putting it together.) The body shop has put a new, properly painted bumper cover back on my car. There is only a very small mark on the windshield from the flying lumber. The church plumbing seems to be in repair, and I haven't fallen out of bed in a week. I really don't have problems. I wish I would learn that. I am running out of time to learn that lesson. As the old Pennsylvania Dutch saying goes, "We grow too soon old, and too late smart." True, true.

Last time I mentioned the accident that happened to Benny. Little Benny has only been with us two months. Everything seemed to be fine, until one night I noticed a gash in his forehead about an inch or so long. I have no idea how that happened. I couldn't find any sharp object that might have cut him. But there was the wound. I knew he'd have to have stitches. Poor thing. He's resting in my bed right now, and he's looking pretty good. You have to look closely to see where the stitches are. It's a good job if I do say so myself. I learned a thing or two about stitches from my grandfather who was a tailor. Yes, I stitched up Benny myself.

Now don't go getting upset and call up the AMA. I was not practicing medicine without a license. Benny is not a human being. He isn't even a real animal. He's a Teddy Bear, one of many that I have. Here's his picture.





Benny was a Christmas gift from Mrs. D. and Ang. I named him Benny after Jack Benny, the famed star of radio and TV. He studied music at the same school I studied at, The Chicago Musical College. (They've changed the name to The Chicago College of the Performing Arts, part of Roosevelt University. I have been upset at the name change since the Musical College was founded in 1867, almost 80 years before Roosevelt was founded.)

I didn't have a Teddy Bear when I was little. I had a Panda. They were very popular back then. I bought my first Teddy Bear around 1981 at the Burdines store in Miami. (Which now part of Macy's. And so is the famous Chicago store Marshall Field's. Why can't they leave the name of things alone? I'm listening right now to a radio program saying they are thinking of renaming Wrigley Field where the Cubs play. Blasphemy! Back to the bears.) These were the Bialoski Bear line. I added a name (not changed the name) so that MY particular bear is named Alexander Bialosky Bear.





I have several children's books with stories about Bialosky, a Bialosky address book, and a Bialosky baking book, and a Bialosky 25th Anniversary Calendar. You will note from the picture that Alexander is an avid reader.

Since Bialosky, I seem to have accumulated quite a collection of bears. Here's some more pictures. First, the three Holy Bears.




Next Monk Bear and Chorister Bear.




Then Mary, Joseph and Baby Jesus Bear.



And here is Wizard Bear with his favorite Hary Potter pillow. I found him at the Bear Orphanage (resale store) and rescued him. Last year I was at the Teddy Bear store and found the Wizard outfit for him.





And then there is another newcomer, Vermont Teddy Bear. My brother-in-law found him at the Teddy Bear Orphanage. He's a bit of a problem since he is always raiding the pantry to get at the maple syrup.





And finally for now, the bears.






I have some other characters who live with me, but I'll save their mug shots for another time.

May the Lord God bless you on your way and greet you on your arrival.


Wayne

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home