Friday, August 15, 2008

PRAYERS


I hadn't gotten anything finished this week because I have been so busy. I found some favorite prayers I had collected for a workshop I taught several years ago and decided to post them. The picture is "Beata Beatrix" Dante Gabriel Rossetti. It shows Beatrice at the moment of her death. It has always impressed me as a very spiritual picture.






DAY BY DAY


Thank you, lord Jesus Christ,
for all the benefits and blessings which you have given me,
For all the pains and insults which you have borne for me.
Merciful friend, brother and redeemer,
May I know you more clearly,
Love you more dearly,
And follow you more nearly,
Day by day.

Richard of Chichester

GOD BE IN MY HEAD

God be in my head
and in my understanding.
God be in my eyes
and in my looking.
God be in my mouth
and in my speaking.
God be in my heart
and in my thinking.
God be at my end
and my departing.

Sarum Primer, 1527

THE CALL

Come my way, my truth my life
Such a way as gives us breath,
Such a truth as ends all strife,
Such a life as conquers death.

Come my light, my feast my strength:
Such a light as shows a feast,
Such a feast as mends in length,
Such a strength as makes his guest.

Come, my joy, my love, my heart:
Such a joy as none can move,
Such a love as none can part,
Such a heart as joys in love.

George Herbert


COME HOLY SPIRIT

Come, Holy Spirit, fill the hearts of your faithful and kindle in them the fire of your love.

Send forth your Spirit, and they shall be created: And You will renew the face of the earth.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home