Friday, October 09, 2009

O REST IN THE LORD


Apologies, no blog this week. I have had three days off in the last 34 days, I won’t have another day off for 12 days, and it is starting wear on me. I have been listening to a recoding of Jan Karon’s At home in Mitford. Father Tim is having a conversation with the country preacher, Absalom Greer. Father Tim speaks first:

“When it comes to feeding my sheep, I am afraid my sermons are about as nourishing as cardboard.”
“Are you resting.”
“Resting?”

“Resting. Sometimes we get so worn out with being useful that we get useless. I’ll ask you what another preacher once asked me: Are you to exhausted to run and too scared to rest?” . . .

The old preacher’s eyes were as clear as gemstones. “My brother, I would urge you to search the heart of God on this matter, for it was this very thing that sunk me to the bottom of the pond.”

They looked at one another with grave understanding. “I’ll covet your prayers,” said Father Tim.


Amen, Father Tim, I say.

O rest in the Lord, wait patiently for Him,
And He shall give thee thy heart's desire;

O rest in the Lord, wait patiently for Him,
And He shall give thee thy heart's desire.

Commit thy way unto Him, and trust in Him;

And fret not thyself, because of evil doers;

O rest in the Lord, wait patiently for Him,

Wait patiently for Him.


O rest in the Lord, wait patiently for Him,

And He shall give thee Thy heart's desire;

O rest in the Lord, O rest in the Lord,

And wait, wait patiently for Him.


Felix Mendelssohn, Elijah, based on Psalm 37:6,7


Whether you are laboring on or taking a rest, may the Lord bless you on your journey and greet you on your arrival

Wayne






11999

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home