Friday, November 06, 2009

SERENDIPITY III


Well, I stumbled into something again. (No, it wasn’t a pond. It has been six or seven years since I walked into a pond one dark night.) The library book store has put out Christmas books for purchase, and I discovered The Christmas Stories of George MacDonald. For the cost of $1.00 I couldn’t pass it up.  I wrote about MacDonald some blogs back SERENDIPITY, but this was all new stuff to me. The book is published by David C. Cook Publishing Company. That was the first happy memory for they were the publishers of the Sunday Pix, a cartoon/comic strip version of the Bible issued in weekly installments. It was one of the things that made it worthwhile going to Sunday School when I was a kid.

The MacDonald book is illustrated by Linda Hill Griffith, an author and illustrator of children’s books. The pictures are gentle, with many details to delight the eye. The picture at the head of this blog is hers. You will notice that the baby Jesus is a blond, round-faced northern European cherub, nothing at all like a middle-eastern peasant. Well, everyone in the illustrations are pleasant-looking, British people except for the mean characters who are sharp-featured, sneering folk. I do like the slightly uneasy look on the babe’s face as if Jesus is not quite sure he likes sharing his bed with a hungry donkey.

Anyway, the illustration is for MacDonald’s poem “The Angel’s Song.” As I mentioned, this was all new to me, but I only had to read the first stanza to recognize it:

      From heaven above I come to you,
      To bring a story good and new:
      Of goodly news so much I bring,
      I cannot help it, I must sing.

Goodness, that is an English translation of Martin Luther’s Christmas hymn “Vom Himmel hoch da komm ich her.” (It would have been nice if Luther had gotten the credit for the original.) I know it better in the Catherine Winkworth translation.

      From Heaven above to earth I come,
      To bear good news to every home;
      Glad tidings of great joy I bring,
      Whereof I now will say and sing.

It’s really a miniature Christmas Pageant. The first verses are the Angel addressing the shepherds, then the shepherds go off to Bethlehem, and then we follow reacting with awe at the sight of the Christ Child

      Ah, dearest Jesus, holy Child,
      Make Thee a bed, soft, undefiled,
      Here in my poor heart’s inmost shrine,
      That I may evermore be Thine.

Two verses of that Luther hymn were used by J. S. Bach in his Christmas Oratorio. Ah, that brought back (or brought Bach) happy memories of singing the six cantatas that make up the Christmas Oratorio in college. I sang the last three Cantatas in January of 1970 or 1971. Usually the Roosevelt University Choral Concert was just before Christmas, but I think that year it was delayed to January, so we sang the cantatas for New Years’ Day, the Sunday after New Years, and Epiphany. Bach, as a good Lutheran, knew that Christmas ran from December 25 to January 6.  In December of 1971 I was still hanging around the university even though I had graduated. My future seminary in its great wisdom had refused to admit me as a student because I had taken too many music courses, and they wanted me to take a bunch of liberal arts courses to prove I wasn’t stupid. I don’t think non-musicians have any idea how difficult courses in music theory and analysis are, but that’s the way things were. So I was taking courses, and the Concert Choir was going to sing the first three cantatas, so I volunteered to sing with them.

I still have my vocal score for the Christmas Oratorio complete with many notations on diction, intonation, notes to watch out for, and an occasional indication of when to help the tenors sing an entrance.

The director of all choral activities was Dr. David Larson. I consider it a great privilege to have studied with Dr. Larson and wouldn’t trade the experience for anything. Now the curious thing is that Dr. Larson spent much of his professional life teaching in Japan. Readers of my blog SERENDIPITY II might recall that Pastor Marvin Tack, who also had a great influence on me, spent much of his life in Japan.  No, they didn’t know each other, BUT they both did know somebody else, Pastor Norman Nuding who also had a role in my eventual pursuit of the Lutheran ministry.WHEN YOU GROW UP PT. 3

This is a wonderful time of year for memories, especially Christmas memories. I know the Scrooges out there are grumpling about rushing the season, but I love it. I love the dark nights as fall slides into winter. I love the coming season of Advent. I love the dozens of books of Christmas stories and poems that I read each year.  I love the wonder of the Word made flesh, our Lord Jesus.

Last verse, in the Winkworth translation.

Glory to God in highest Heaven,
Who unto man His Son hath given,
While angels sing, with pious mirth,
A glad New Year to all the earth.

May the Lord bless you on your journey and greet you on your arrival. And may your pilgrimage be accompanied by the singing of angels.

Wayne




12177

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 4:58 PM, Blogger Helen said...

I just discovered your blog and will now be reading it. Thank you. I found it by looking at my "followers" and I am delighted. Helen

 
At 2:25 PM, Blogger Wayne said...

Thank you for reading my ramblings, Sister Helen.

I recommend my readers (such as they are)read "Reflections of an RSCJ" by Sister Helen Rosenthal a wonder teacher and spiritual director who was of great help to me. May God continue to bless her.

Wayne

http://reflectionsofanrscj.blogspot.com/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home