Friday, November 21, 2008

FA MILY PICTURES



I thought
everything would return to normal. And I’d be back writings by now. No such luck. Busy, busy busy. I do have some pictures I scanned of my family, so I’ll post them.


My Great-Grandma Kofink. No idea when or where it was taken. You can see the strong features of her face that are still visible in many of her descendants. My Grandpa Kofink looked very much like her when he was in his 50s & 60s.

Great-Grandma and Great-Grandpa Kofink. I know this was taken in the backyard of the Seeley Avenue House, possibly in 1931 which would have been their 50th wedding anniversary. Grandpa has a pipe in his hand and Grandma has a set of figurines of a bride and groom. I never met my great-grandparents. Could you guess that Great-grandpa was German?


The front of the Seeley Avenue house that was first owned by my great-grandparents. By the time I was born the Victorian Gingerbread was gone, but the stained-glass window was still there. Unfortunately it was removed in remodeling in the 1950s.

I have no idea when this picture was taken, but it has to be in the teens or early 20s before the dormers were added to the second floor.
Pictures are my Grandma Kofink, her mother-in-law (great-grandma), her sister-in-law Aunt Minnie Wardell, and her father-in-law (great grandma.) Below is a picture of the house today.


Do you see how big the little tree in the first picture has gotten in 80 years or so.

This is my Great-Grandma & Grandpa Angner, my mother's maternal grandparents. I only know this from other pictures of them. This one isn't dated, but it had to have been taken in Louvrin, Romania where they lived. My mother met her grandparents when she went to Europe in 1937. I only got to know Great-grandma years later.


My mother as a very young child, around 1927 or so and her mother, My Grandma Szlavik. I'd recognize my grandmother anywhere. I can pick her out in a family portrait when she was a very little girl. I'd never have recognized my mother if I didn't have a portrait of her when she was a few years old.

This is Great-Grandma Angner back home in Romania in 1966. She had lived in the States for a while in the 1950s, but returned home again. I did get to spend time with her when she was here. Nana and I got along fine even though she spoke no English. I learned to count in German. This picture was taken a few years before her death. It was given to my grandmother with the inscription "Your loving old mother. For you."

That's all for now. May the Lord bless you on your journey and greet you on your arrival.

Wayne



3205

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 1:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HMMM. VERY VERY INTERESTING.GET FIRED UP AND READY TO GO . CURT

 
At 6:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're back, and I am back...and I am catching up. Reading through the fabulous posts you have made. I am working on an email to you in between the cries of a teething baby. :)

Glad your trip went well. Take care.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home